Do you Portiere?

Sunday, October 31, 2010

My favorite moment when decorating a room happens when the curtains go up.  Curtains in a great fabric can transform a space like nothing else  Suddenly the room feels taller, more opulent and cozy, too!  So if you can create this kind of magic by putting curtains at your windows, why not take a cue from the Victorians and use curtains to separate the spaces within your home?  These guys did and look how great it turned out!

 Southern Accents

This nook created by Barry Dixon creates the option of a more intimate dining area.  Brilliant!




The curtains and the raised platform in this bathroom define the soaking tub as "the" destination.




Domino

Portiere curtains are a practical and beautiful choice for kids sharing a bedroom or for dorm roommates.  


And they are a beautiful way to frame the view from one room to the next.

Jeffrey Bilhuber in House Beautiful


Traditional Home


Image via My Notting Hill

And in the bedroom, a portiere curtain provides softness and intimacy.

Reincarnation of Jeanne Lanvin's famous cornflower blue bedroom, with portiere curtains




Portiere for you?



Need some help  pulling your style together?  The Green Room Interiors can make your home a beautiful place to be!  Call Kim at 423.653.3186 or email thegreenroominteriors@gmail.com











19 comments:

Splendid Sass said...

Kim, I'm with you on Miles Redd. He can do no wrong. I think this is the best I have seen overall. He is a genius!
Love the citron and gray in the next to last image here. I am a brown freak with some color added and that color is Citron for me right now. Love the bath with the draped fabric also.
I am adding you to my blog roll.
Have a nice evening.
Teresa

Kathysue said...

Kim I have thought of doing that for a winter look in my living room for years and just have never done it. I thought a velvet would be great to seperate the living room from the entry. Loved this post Kathysue

Sharon Brown said...

Yes!!!

Dovecote Decor said...

Great Post! The cornflower blue bedroom is spectacular. I've been considering curtains as space divisions for energy conservation reasons. Heat rises and cold falls, so the stair well, which can't handle a door needs a drapery.
Best,
Liz

Kelly Frances Dunn said...

I've always been a huge fan of this and suggest/do it whenever possible :) Great proof here of why it works! XOXO

Karen said...

Love this idea, especially during the winter months, it adds warmth.

Danielle Oakey Interiors said...

i totally agree, i love when the drapery goes up. these images are stunning!

Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design said...

Love all these looks! Draperies can add so much to a room, especially when they are in other places than the window!

A Flair for Vintage Decor said...

I agree!! I love draperies...they add so so so much! Take care, Caroline

Lissa Pierce said...

I love it when curtains go up too! always just finishes off a space. I also love the idea of using then to divide spaces and as a way to soften openings.

ALR said...

Drapes have really made a big difference in my house, it really adds that finishing touch.

Amy R.

Anonymous said...

I think they're a great idea, especially in the fall/winter.

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Ooohhh!!!! I just love these! I think the idea of doing one between our master bedroom and bath would be fantastic!

Unknown said...

Love this look...so dramatic!

Unknown said...

Really love the curtained doorways, I am now staring at the pass-through between living and dining room and thinking... hmmm... curtains! XX!

Linda @ theLENNOXX said...

Yes, I would definitely use curtains as room dividers! Curtains are really the icing on the cake for any room, I don't get people who don't install curtains!

xo Linda

Decor I Adore said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I've devoured every inch of yours and am now your newest follower :)

TLC_Designs @ Passport2Design said...

Love how portiere curtains can be used to frame a doorway or room entrance - what a stylish way to transition from one space to the next. I once used portiere curtains as a closet door replacement - they added so much texture and femininity to the space, I almost forgot how fabulous they can be.

*Tania

casey at loft and cottage said...

I SO love this idea and have done it a bit in my house but would love to do more. I had no idea it was called portiere! Thanks for educating me!