What's Your Tolerance for Marsala

Monday, January 12, 2015

Hey what do you think about Pantone's choice for the color of the year for 2015?   It's Marsala, or as we common folk call it - burgundy.  I personally have nothing against this color but I think their choice is strange because my mind always goes to the burgundy of 1992.

Who else sees this when they think of burgundy Marsala?


Well, the truth is you can use Marsala and have it look chic and current.  Perhaps you prefer your Marsala in small doses.


Now that's not so scary.  I rather like that rich burgundy against the white slipcovers.  It's a welcome change from the obligatory turquoise, gray or black & white geometric that's getting so tired. And I kind of feel like burgundy and velvet are made for each other.


Ok here's a bold burgundy statement on a modern chair in an otherwise neutral space.  I like this Marsala.  And it's in velvet. It's a winner for me.

Can you even handle this gorgeous room with that sofa??   Burgundy. Velvet.  Pink walls. And that gold leaf coffee table is so pretty against the Marsala sofa. This is a home run for me!

So what do you think?  Does Marsala has its place in 2015 or do you prefer it stay in the 90's (and earlier).

The Green Room Interiors provides Interior Decorating and Design Services in Chattanooga, TN.  If you'd like to discover the joy of living in a well designed home,contact Kim Lemmon at 423.653.3186 or email thegreenroominteriors@gmail.com

When I'm away from the blog you can find me here: Instagram      Facebook     Pinterest

21 comments:

Raina Cox said...

My tolerance for Marsala is quite low. Twist it into a claret or deep berry and I'm on board.

Price Style & Design said...

Wow great photos of updated 'burgundy'! I'm loving the way it looks with the blue Greek key rug!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

You have demonstrated some pretty cool examples of how Marsala can work. I'm still not fond of it, but it can work for 2015 when done right.

Mary Ann Pickett said...

I like it…and it looks great with grays, too.

Unknown said...

I think there is a subtle difference between Marsala and the berries or burgundys that looks so good. Marsala seems to have a dullness about it that reminds me of the deep Mauves of the 80's. I may be being picky, but I love everything you posted, but they all have more life than what I perceive marsala to be. I love your post, and those burgundy pillows against the deep brown or gorg!

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

i can live with it in those pictures you've found for sure. but like the cooking wine, it needs to play a small supporting role in a complex dish to work for me!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

I'm with Bethany - in pictures its OK but in real life...no so much.

Karena said...

Kim I agree with you in that in the right fabric and deeply saturated color it can look amazing.

xoxo
Karena
Featuring "Inner Spaces"

Thehouseofhampton said...

All I can say here is Sephora has a great make up collection in honor of the color. The colors more clay and it looks beautiful on sin. Decor wise, I like it in small doses.
Sharon

Fran said...

I don't love it and can't see it in my own home. Definitely can tolerate it in very small doses…that is about it.

Beth of designPOST Interiors said...

I just cannot get into it. At all.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

In a delicious velvet, YES! Otherwise I do feel like it's 1995 and there is a Waverly wallpaper border lurking around somewhere.

pam {simple details} said...

The second I say, 'ick' someone will use it in a fabulous room that will be on the cover of Traditional Home and I'll eat my words!

Interior Design Musings said...

small doses for sure! M.

Kim said...

I'm not a huge fan ... but I do love the photos you found, they make it right! One thing I am trying to figure out is why it was chosen. Back when Tangerine Tango and those colors were chosen it was because the economy was down and we needed cheering up. So they say. So what does Marsala mean ... are we too cheery right now?? Hmmm ... xokim

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Know that in small does it is beautiful, but when I say small, I mean a rose.
I am not closed minded about it, because someone most likely has more vision than I do.
Teresa
xoxo

Town and Country Gals said...

Kim,
have to say, not so much! In your photos, it looks good but soooo not for me! Been there, done that!
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

I too like the rich burgundy pillows against the white slipcovers for a cozy "winter" look if the rest of the room accommodates their inclusion. But my rooms - finally and very recently completed, are a "summer" palette that includes the turquoise and b/w geometric you mentioned, and a pop of marsala is never going to fit in ... and maybe that's the rationale behind the marsala choice ... Pantone and other "taste makers" are suppose to drive market trends and our purchases and keep the economy fueled, and based on whats in my home, to incorporate this or comparable colors I'd have to start over from scratch. Retailers would be happy, hubby and I, not so much. So call me "not a fan" of marsala.

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Love the last photo..but Marsala isn't for me...had enough of it in the 80s

Dianne said...

The shade has to be right, it needs not have a lot of brown in it not to be too bright and burgundy. When it's right it is killer good! Love your examples!

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

Can't do it. The scars run too deep. The 80's killed it for me, especially if it's mixed with gray.