One Room Challenge Week 5 - Home Office Makeover

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Welcome to the fifth week of my home office makeover I'm doing as part of Calling It Home's One Room Challenge.

In case you missed it, here's the mood board for what I aim to create in my home office.


And here's what I started with:





A hot mess wrapped in a bright teal package. (This color was selected by my daughter upon claiming this room as her own before we moved in.)

So there are a few victories to celebrate this week.

My ebay rug arrived:


Going from beige carpet to this multi colored rug with lots of pattern is a giant change.  I'm still trying to get used to it - the room already feels completely different.

Also:




I bought this mid century portrait on Chairish a few weeks ago and just picked it up from the framer.  I love her kimono top and chic 60's up do.  I decided that she deserved a very fancy gold frame.  And oh boy! the colors in the painting really stand out against the lavender walls.

Take a look at the lamps in my family room from a few houses ago.

I still  love the shape of these lamps and have decided to give them an upgrade for this little home office project.

First up I ordered shades in the perfect shade of red from Pottery Barn Kids.


It's a great start, but I decided to take it a step further with this:


This stuff is great and I found it at Hobby Lobby along with the brush fringe.  No more burnt fingertips or glue hot glue hairs.  Another nice thing about using the Peel & Stick tape is that you don't get those little lumps you sometimes see with when you use hot glue.  

Here we are in progress.  It took me no more than 10 minutes to do 2 lamps. It's literally peel and stick and the stick part works really well.





 And done:

Here are my spiffy lamps in action atop my newly spray painted Home Depot garage shelves.

What I'm struggling with right now is how to address the stuff on the shelves.  I went and bought a whole bunch of wicker baskets in different sizes and weaves and it looked way too cluttered and busy.  So I'm trying to figure out what to do there because I really had not intended for the storage shelves to command so much attention.  If I could find some nice sized sturdy cardboard boxes I might paint them lavender so they blend into the walls and calm some of the chaos on the shelves.  If you have other brilliant ideas I'm open to hearing about it.  Feel free to share in the comments below.

Thanks for checking in on my progress this week.  Fingers crossed I make it to the finish line next Thursday!

Find links to all link up participants here

Find links to bloggers participating in the main event here.

See you next week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohh, love your lamp makeover-that is such a fun update! Best of luck pulling everything together in this last week!!! :) Kristin @ Postbox Designs

SHERRY HART said...

Love the rug! I am always scared to buy a rug on a website cause I have a hard time telling if the colors are right....The lamp makeover and painting the shelves gold was brilliant!